History of Gay and Lesbian Life in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Businesses - Bars and Clubs

 
Wildwood
Location: 1430 W. Walnut Ave.

Opened:
Closed:

1949
1963
Clientele:

Female
Bar/ social

 

 
       
 

Josie Carter recalls a women's bar called "Wildwood" at 13th and Walnut Avenue during the 1960s. In his words: "They were not just lesbians, they were real bull dykes. None of the men messed with any of them."

Researcher Michail Takach also has documented "German's Wildwood" as a butch lesbian bar only-- men were not welcome, but drag queens were(!) No photos are known, and the building no longer exists. (This had to be a remarkably rough area back then, because everything was bulldozed in a 1960s urban renewal project.)

More information about this business is welcomed from anyone who can contribute it.

 

Credits: contents, design and arrangement by Don Schwamb.
Major information contributed by Michail Takach.
Last updated: December-2015.