History of Gay and Lesbian Life in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Businesses - Bars and Clubs

 
Riviera, aka Tony's Riviera
Location: 401 N. Plankinton
aka 952 N. 3rd St.

Opened:
Closed:

1952
March 15, 1964
Clientele:

Male/ female
Bar, Dancing

 

 
       
 

Formerly a bar known as The Anchor Inn, this bar became 'Tony's Riviera Cocktail Lounge' in 1952 (also commonly called simply 'The Riviera'). It was operated by the Machi family of Milwaukee's Third Ward.

The Riviera is largely remembered now for a huge fire that claimed the bar and the entire building.

According to rumor, in March of 1964, there was a lover's spat; one of the two men went around the back of the building (a 4-floor brick warehouse), and set the building on fire (a grain elevator). The contributor who relates this story remembers that when the front wall of the building collapsed, it crushed the fire department's ladder truck.

Historian/ researcher Michail Takach makes sense of the rumors in his book, "LGBT Milwaukee":

    The Anchor Inn (401 North Plankinton Avenue), located in the historic Hunkel Seed building, was already an unofficial gay meeting place by the 1950s. In 1952, the 3,000-square-foot tavern was leased to Peter Machi of the Old Third Ward family, who opened Tony’s Riviera Cocktail Lounge. Tony’s Riviera became quietly known as the premier gay bar of the 1950s. The Machi brothers invested considerable money—and involved many sponsors—while carving a modern lounge out of the historic grain mill. “On Sunday afternoons, the place was loaded with cops,” said one contributor. “Sometimes, they’d bring their women, but rarely did they bring their wives.” Patrons remember policemen visiting the Riveria’s basement, which allegedly housed an illegal booking joint, and stuffing envelopes into their coat pockets on the way out. Milwaukee police suspected the Riviera of paying “insurance,” but the Machi brothers denied being shaken down by any syndicate.

    On March 14, 1964, ta catastrophic five-alarm fire consumed the Riviera and devastated the block. “I was on vacation in California,” said a contributor, “when someone called me to say ‘your house is on fire—come home!’” At 6:00 p.m., someone ran into the bar and yelled “Fire!” Bartender Richard Isensee remained open until policemen ordered him to evacuate. “When we left, the ceiling was on fire,” said Isensee. “But you just don’t leave a dirty bar.” The ruins smoldered for a week. Although arson was suspected, FBI documents note that the underinsured tavern was a “profitable fag joint.” Rumor has it that a lovers’ spat ended with one of the men setting fire to the building. The Riviera relocated to 952 North Plankinton Avenue until its 1967 demolition. Later, the Machi brothers opened Teddy’s (1434 North Farwell Avenue), a disco and live music venue that is now Shank Hall.

(The book "Beertown Blazes, A Century of Milwaukee Fire Fighting" by R.L. Nailen and James S. Haight (Renaissance Books), recalls what is likely that fire on page 240, as one of the Top 100 fires in the city. It documents the fire as follows: "March 15, 1964 Northern Floor Covering et al; 401-411 N. Plankinton; 4 (story) brick 100x125 mercantile & storage. Box alarm 6:18pm for fire in rear loading dock; ceiling flashed over while lines being laid; hot air explosion involved 2nd floor; 5 alarms by 7:30. Four men of Truck 3 trapped on 3rd floor, rescued via aerial ladder. Fire out all floors and through roof; 4 special calls; north wall fell 8 p.m. crushing Truck 7's trailer. Under control 3 a.m.; ruins smoldered for a week. Response 160 men, 18 engines, 6 trucks, fireboat; 36 hose lines; 10 million gallons water. Loss $185,370.")

(The book, "LGBT Milwaukee" by Michail Takach, seeks to make the story of LGBT Milwaukee accessible, visible, and portable for future generations--before it is too late. The Riviera is one of many early LGBT landmarks documented in the book.)

More information about this business is welcomed from anyone who can contribute it.

 

Recollections: The following are recollections of others who have been kind enough to submit their personal memories to the webmaster. You are welcome to do the same!

    Opened in 1952. Bunny remembers this being a Mafia bar with a secret bookie joint (illegal gambling) in the basement, with a wall of telephones being hidden behind liquor bottles. Bunny reports knowing the couple who had the spat and set the building on fire.

    Michail Takach

 


Listings in early "Gay Guides":
(For more information on the Guides, click here.)

1963, Lavendar Baedeker
  History of the Baedeker Guides   Index
Listed as "Riviera"
 
1964, "Directory 43"
  Title Page   Introduction
Listed as "The Riviera (Tony's)"
 
1964 Guild Guide
  Title pg   Editors note   Note concl
Listed as "Riviera Cocktail Lounge"
 
1965 International Guild Guide
  Title pg   Editor's note   Codes
Listed as "The Riviera" at 952 N. 3rd St.
 
1966 Bob Damron's Address Book
    Publisher note
Listed as "New Riviera" at 3rd & Plankinton
 
1966 Lavender Baedeker Guide
    Back page
Listed as "The Riveria" at 952 N. 3rd
 
1966 Male World Guide
    Index, excerpt
Listed as "Riveria" at "401 N. Plankinton (or 952 North 3rd St.)"
 


Photo of Tony's Riviera
(photo by special permission of
Milwaukee County Historical Society)


another view of Tony's Riviera on corner
(photo by special permission of
Milwaukee County Historical Society)


Fire photo from "Beertown Blazes"


Fire photo from "Beertown Blazes"

Credits: initial contents, web site concept and design by Don Schwamb.
Additional research and commentary by Michail Takach;
Archival photos used by special permission of Milwaukee County Historical Society.
Last updated: August-2016.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.