History of Gay and Lesbian Life in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Businesses - Bars and Clubs

 
Pink Pony
Location: 1834 W. North Ave.

Opened:
Closed:

c1953
c1972?
Clientele:

Male
Bar/ social

 

 
       
 

Very little information is known about the "Pink Pony", remebered as a men's bar existing from the mid-1950s to the late 1960's or early 1970's. It is mentioned in interviews by both Josie Carter and Bunny, and a few others, but doesn't appear in gay guides: possibly because it was in the inner city, increasingly black vs. mixed, and somewhat "unofficial" as a gay bar. (The building no longer exists.)

Researcher Michail Takach found mention of the Pink Pony's opening in 1953 in a Milwaukee Journal news article. It inccluded a definite "wink wink" comment: "if you're one of those who fancies pink squirrels, we hear they make them up nice at the Pink Pony."

More information about this business is welcomed from anyone who can contribute it.

 

Credits: contents, design and arrangement by Don Schwamb.
Major information contributed by Michail Takach.
Last updated: December-2015.