History of Gay and Lesbian Life in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Businesses - Bars and Clubs

 
Nut Hut
-aka- Kathy's Nut Hut
Location: 1500 W. Scott Street

Opened:
Closed:

1980
2014
Clientele:

Female/ male
Bar/ social

 

 
       
 

Kathy's Nut Hut, widely known as The Nut Hut, was opened approximately 1980 by (who else) Kathy.

The bar had its informal beginning as a lesbian bar in 1979, when Sharon Dixon opened a new neighborhood bar, Shorty's Party Room, on 15th and Scott. She wasn't sure what kind of place it would become, but she knew it would become something, because it immediately attracted a loyal following. After a year, Sharon subleased the business to someone else; and soon after, it became Kathy's Nut Hut.

Long quasi-gay (with a wide lesbian clientele), the bar "officially" was pronounced by the owner as a lesbian/ gay bar late in 1992, when it began advertising in In Step magazine. (InStep magazine, vol 9- no. 25)

The bar briefly closed in 1997; according to the 'Keepin In Step' column in IN Step newspaper, vol 14-11, "Kathy's Nut Hut is back. She leased the bar out for awhile but people kept asking her to re-open so she did... Stop in to say hi to Kathy and the staff and let her know your (sic) glad she re-opened."

Kathy owned the bar for about 22 years, until selling it to Michelle in about 2002. Michelle continued to operate the bar, then known simply as The Nut Hut, as an openly lesbian/gay bar, with a sizeable regular clientele and good relations in the neighborhood. The popular woman's bar ended its 34-year run in 2014.

 


Mention in the column "Steppin' Out",
In Step magazine,
December 1992 (vol. 9 no. 25)


Advertisement, December 1992


Advertisement, June 1997
IN Step vol 14-11, pg. 44

Credits: contents, design and arrangement by Don Schwamb.
Last updated: May-2021.